About Spin Welding
by Alex Lee Mob/Wechat/WhatsApp: +86-15918523336
Spin welding is a kind of material joining technology for round shape parts by friction. During spin welding, one part is hold in station while the other part is rotate relatively to case friction at the contract area and case material melting under pressure, rotation stop when melting reach volume and keep two parts together under pressure until material cool down and form solidification. Spin friction welding can be applied for both plastic materials and metal materials. Here in this web, we mainly talk about spin welding for plastic material.
I. Spin welding is applied for joining parts in round shape, it is available mostly for material as below:
Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS-Cycolac)
PolyOxy-Methylene (POM-Acetal & Delrin)
PolyAmide (PA-Nylon & Zytel)
PolyButylene Terephthalate (PBT-Valox & Enduran)
PolyCarbonate (PC-Lexan & Makrolon)
PolyCarbonate / Acrylonitrile- Butadiene- Styrene (PC/ABS-Cycoloy & Bayblend)
PolyCarbonate / PolyButylene Terphthalate (PC/PBT-Xenoy)
PolyCarbonate / PolyEthylene Terephthalate (PC/PET-Xylex & Makroblend)
PolyEthylene Terephthalate (PET-Polyester)
PolyMethyl MethAcrylate (PMMA-Acrylic & Lucite)
PolyPhenylene Oxide (PPO-Noryl)
PolyPhenylene Sulfide (PPS-Ryton)
PolyVinyl Chloride (PVC-Vinyl)
PVDF (PolyVinylidene Fluoride (PVDF-Kynar)
Thermo-Plastic Elastomers (TPE-Santoprene)
II. Spin welding is with advantages of：
1. Short cycle time, high production efficiency;
2. High welding strength;
3. Easy achieve airtight welding;
4. Low equipment cost.
III. The types of Spin Welding：
1. Basing on rotation control method, it can be electrical motor spin welding and pneumatic spin welding:
Electrical motor spin welding means control rotation by electrical motor system, which normally will work with gears to achieve rotation with high torque for parts in big size;
Pneumatic spin welding means applying compressed air rotation motor system to drive jig rotation in high speed. It is suitable for small parts and material requesting fast rotation action.
2. Basing the requirement of orientation: basing on the parts design, spin welding can be in orientation and non-orientation. Orientation spin welding means the rotation start and stop at the same rotational position to ensure two plastic parts assembly in right relative position.
Basing the precision requirement of orientation control, it can apply step motor and servo motor for rotation control.
3. Basing on the welding depth control requirement, it need to control the elevating jig and for pressure by pneumatic cylinder or servo motor.
Cylinder elevation control is a economical method, and can control force pressure in intuition, while is requests mechanical control to welding depth. While servo motor control can achieve pressure depth control, while it control force pressure by logical calculation. Servo motor control cost is much higher than cylinder control.